Saturday, September 25, 2010

Kongsberg Silver Mine 25 Sep 2010, Sat.

We visited the the Kongsberg Kings mine today, Saturday 25th Sep 2010.  Again, Marit was so kind to take us around today.  Marit picked us up around 11:00 am and we drove about 8 KM up the mountians to the hamlet of Saggrenda to the entrance of the mine.
 
Our tour guide was actually a Beck relative.  When he introduced himself as he started the tour he said his name was Halvor Saelebakke and middle name was Beck.  We realized later that he did it for our benefit.  He knew we were visiting today and did it probably as a way to see if we would come forward.  Of course, when we had a chance to talk with him we told him we were related to Beck's and he says " Oh are you Tamilyn Berry".  We talked how we would be related and we got his email for future contact.  It was his mother Karianne that was the Beck. 

As you can see it is cold down in the mine.  About 6 degrees Celsius. I will let you convert the temp and the m's.  We went 342 M below ground and 2,300 m into the deepest mountian.  
After the Mine tour we ate lunch that we brought in a little Kafe in one of the Museum buildings and went to the Souviner shops.  Halvor had told us there is a book that list some miners names in it and it has some Beck names but they didn't have that book available.  He told us he had the book and would scan the pages and send to us.  We are excited to see that and find out exactly how he ties in to our Becks.


Then Marit took us on a drive to see the countryside.  Again, we had a wonderful day that we will remember forever.  It will be hard to leave Kongsberg in the morning.  Love you all.  
 




6 comments:

Pamela Berry said...

I love hearing your stories! Telisah and I wish we could be there enjoying it with you. The area looks so peaceful, simple and calm....I think I could enjoy that. I'm so glad you are meeting some family ties! How exciting! It sounds like everyone is treating you so well...couldn't ask for a better trip.....love you all!

Breanna said...

Wait! I want to be there with you too! The more stories you tell and pictures you post, the more I wish I could be there. Love you guys.

telisha said...

I love the picture of the horse! I DO wish that I were there with you guys! Glad to hear that the people are so kind. You guys look cold though, has it been pretty chilly?

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to hear how your Sunday went -- how Mom's singing went, how it was received and if the branch there heard of the purposes of your visit.

All your trip narratives and pictures are precious. (Some of us think Tami should smile like she is having fun). I'm sure the trip is wearing on all of you, in spite of the amazing experiences. Such is family history/missionary work...

Nesha Smith said...

Wow I love the picture of the horse to!! It’s so fun looking at all your pictures! Every time Ellie asks where Grandma is I show her all the pictures and she gets so excited!! I can’t wait to read and see more pictures! Love yah

Anonymous said...

Val wanted to let you know that she loves your blog and has kept up with it every day! She tried to e-mail you but said it didn't work.